White Hair – Causes, Home Remedies, Precautions
The occurrence of white hair can be considered premature when they begin appearing at a very early stage. Some individuals may start having this problem just when they are in their teenage years. Our hair contains their own natural pigment but due to many factors like genetics, environmental damage and nutritional deficiencies, this pigment may get reduced and ultimately lead to white/grey hair. This article brings to you the various home remedies you can follow to get rid of this problem and take preventive measures as well.
Melanin is a kind of pigment which gives the hair its color. Its deficiency in the body can lead to the growth of white/grey hair which has lost their natural pigment. Melanin production is dependent on several factors like the nutrition and the hormonal levels.
Some individuals have a genetic predisposition to developing this problem at an early age. In such cases, little can be done to avoid it.
Stress and anxiety have an effect on the hormonal system of our body which in turn induces the occurrence of prematurely white/grey hair.
Environmental damage like excessive heat and dirt can weaken the hair. Constant exposure to sunlight also makes the hair dry and damages its natural color. Other external factors like using harsh chemicals can also lead to white/grey hair.
Deficiency of omega 3 fatty acids, collagen and Vitamin b12 and vitamin C can also alter the pigmentation of hair.
People with medical conditions like thyroid and diabetes may develop premature white/grey hair.
HOME REMEDIES FOR WHITE HAIR:
Curry leaves contain iron. The compounds present in curry leaves also help to enhance the color of the hair. This helps to overcome the occurrence of prematurely white/grey hair. Using curry leaves for hair treatment also promotes faster growth of hair.
You will need:
- 20-25 curry leaves (without the stem)
- ½ cup of coconut oil
1. Place the coconut oil in a pan and allow it to heat up.
2. To check whether the oil is hot enough, put a curry leaf in the oil. If the leaf crackles, then add the rest of the curry leaves as well.
3. Be very careful while adding the leaves to the coconut oil as the oil may splutter.
4. Now let the leaves boil in the coconut oil until the leaves have turned dark brown.
5. Remove the pan from heat and allow the oil to cool down completely.
6. Strain the oil.
7. Massage this oil into your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes, concentrating on the area with white/grey hair.
8. Leave the hair oil on the hair for at least 40 minutes.
9. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water first.
10. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
11. Use this remedy at least two times a week to see results.
Coconut oil and Lemon Juice:
Coconut oil helps to stimulate the scalp and nourishes the hair follicles and provides nourishment to the growing hair. Lemon juice is a rich source of antioxidants. Using coconut oil and lemon juice prevent the hair from losing their pigment and turning white.
You will need:
- 1/4th cup of coconut oil
- 6-7 tablespoons of lemon juice
1. Heat up the coconut oil so that it is warm enough to be applied to the scalp.
2. Add lemon juice to the warm coconut oil and mix well.
3. Apply the oil to your scalp and massage for at least 10 minutes.
4. Avoid applying this oil to the lengths of your hair as the lemon juice may dry out the hair.
5. Tie your hair in a bun and leave the oil on your scalp for 3-4 hours.
6. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
7. Do this remedy 2-3 times a week to see results.
Black tea is a rich source of antioxidants. The compounds present in black tea help to increase the level of pigment in the hair and also help to prevent any further growth of prematurely white/grey hair. Concentrated black tea solution adds luster to the hair and also prevents hair fall.
You will need:
3 tablespoons of black tea
2 cups of water
1. Boil the black tea leaves in the water for at least 10 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from heat and cover the vessel with a lid.
3. Allow the tea leaves to brew for 1 hour so that you can get a concentrated solution of black tea.
4. Strain the tea.
5. Massage this black tea into your scalp. It will get absorbed very easily since it is mostly water.
6. Tie your hair in a bun and leave the solution to your hair for at least 2 hours.
7. Rinse your hair with cold water to remove the tea.
8. You need not shampoo your hair after this remedy.
9. Follow this remedy 3 times a week.
Fenugreek and Curd Hair Mask:
Fenugreek is a rich source of nutrients like vitamin C and potassium. Not only does it help to prevent the premature occurrence of white/grey hair but also helps to get rid of dandruff and dryness. Curd helps to moisturize the hair.
You will need:
- ½ cup of fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup of water
- 5 tablespoons of curd
1. Soak the fenugreek seeds in water, overnight (for 7 to 8 hours).
2. After the seeds have soaked up the water, add them to a blender. Do not remove the excess water.
3. Add curd to the blender as well.
4. Blend on high speed for 1 minute or until you get a smooth paste.
5. Apply this hair mask evenly onto your scalp.
6. Wrap your hair in a bun and allow the mask to work for 30-40 minutes.
7. Rinse your hair with plain water first,
8. Shampoo and condition as usual.
9. Use this remedy at least 2 times a week.
Henna and Coffee Hair Mask:
Henna has been used for decades to dye the hair naturally. It helps to make the hair softer and shinier. It also helps to dye the white/grey hair. Coffee is a rich source of antioxidants and helps to add pigment to the white strands to reduce their appearance. Egg contains proteins which help to strengthen the hair follicles.
You will need:
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons of henna powder
- ½ cup of coffee grounds
- 1 cup of water
1. Boil 1 cup of water,
2. Turn off the heat and add the coffee grounds to the boiled water.
3. Cover the vessel with a lid and allow the coffee to brew for 30 minutes.
4. Now strain the mixture. Make sure it has completely cooled down.
5. Add the water to henna powder.
6. Mix well to form a paste.
7. Now add the egg to this paste and mix well until the egg is well combined.
8. Cover your shoulders with a towel as the mixture may drip onto your clothes and stain them.
9. Apply this paste to your hair and scalp.
10. Wrap your hair in a bun and leave the mask on your hair for 4 hours.
11. After 4 hours, rinse your hair with warm water first.
12. Once you get rid of all the excess henna, use a shampoo to remove the mask thoroughly from your hair.
13. Repeat this remedy once in two weeks.
Gooseberry Hair Mask:
Gooseberry, also known as “amla” helps to prevent the occurrence of white hair and helps to enhance the color of the hair. It is a rich source of vitamin C. The antioxidants present in gooseberries help to revive hair follicles and get rid of white/grey hair naturally.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of amla powder
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of curd
- 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice
1. Mix the gooseberry powder with curd until there are no lumps.
2. Now add coconut oil and lemon juice to the curd mixture.
3. Make sure the oil is well mixed with the curd.
4. Now wet your hair with a little bit of water. This will make the follicles open up and allow them to soak up the compounds of the hair mask better.
5. Once your scalp is damp, apply the hair mask.
6. Wrap your hair in a tight bun and let the hair mask stay for 1 hour.
7. Rinse the hair with plain water first.
8. Shampoo and rinse as usual.
9. Use this remedy twice a week.
Avoid heat styling your hair
Direct application of heat on the hair can make them dry and brittle. Using heat styling tools like the straightener or blow dryers, on a regular basis can damage the pigment present naturally in the hair and then turn them white. Constant use of heat on the hair also makes them more prone to breakage and slows down hair growth,
Oil Your Hair:
Although your scalp produces its natural oils, sometimes due to use of harsh chemicals and products, our scalp may turn dry. This, in turn, damages the hair follicles and makes us vulnerable to developing white/grey hair. Hence oiling the hair protects them from external damage and helps to nourish the scalp. It is one of the best ways of getting rid of this problem.
Have biotin and collagen-rich food
Biotin helps to maintain the natural black color of the hair. Collagen helps to make the hair stronger and prevents them from breaking or getting thinner. Biotin and collagen-rich foods like almonds, berries, leafy vegetables and oats should be consumed on regular basis.
Vitamin B12 and Fish oil:
Vitamin B12 has immense benefits for the scalp and your hair. Its regular consumption can help to get rid of prematurely white hair. Fish oil contains omega 3 fatty acids which also help to keep the hair follicles healthy. Some natural sources of vitamin B12 include berries, yogurt, and tofu. You may even take vitamin B12 supplements.
Here is a list of simple yet important precautions, one must take in the daily life:
- Limit the use of heat styling tools on your hair.
- When outdoors cover your head with a scarf to prevent the heat from damaging the hair.
- Use a heat protecting serum or hair spray before using any kind of heat styling tools.
- Limit the use of chemicals like artificial hair dyes or bleach.